Victorian Tenancy Compliance Packages

    Complete Compliance + Electrical Complete Compliance + Safety
      $299inc GST per year $379inc GST per year
    Smoke Alarm Compliance
    Replace all faulty or expired smoke alarms
    Multiple test for sound, location/ placement, damage
    Replace smoke alarm batteries when required
    Replace smoke alarm batteries free of charge at change of tenant
    No Emergency callout fee
    Compliance certificate and audit report showing in detail work done including photos of smoke alarms
    Blind Compliance
    All window covers inspected
    Window clips (cleats) for corded window coverings installed (no extra charges per window cleat or window, unlike other companies*)
    Excess or non-compliant cords removed or secured
    Safety Switch Check
    Manually trip RCD to ensure its working correctly
    Report any faults to Real Estate Agent for rectification
    In the event of an RCD fault, after being rectified, we will go out and retest. (no hidden fee for extra call out.)
    Air Conditioner Filter Cleaning
    Comprehensive dusting of split system and ducted air conditioner intake filters. (does not include evaporative units)
    Electrical Safety Service (every 2 years)
    Check & Services of all landlord supplied Electrical Appliances
    Thorough switchboard inspection to ensure RCD's (safety Switches) are installed and operational.
    Free replacement of faulty or damaged RCD's (safety Switch), standard light switches & standard power points.
    Gas Safety Service (every 2 years)
    Check Installation & Safety Service of all landlord supplied Gas Appliances
    Check Installation of LPG cylinders and associated gas components
    Check that gas isolation valves are installed where required
    Conduct a gas combustion spillage test
    Tax-deductible fee

    Victorian Legislation

    Smoke Alarm Compliance

    The VIC Legislative Standards require Landlords of all residential tenancy & holiday rental accommodation properties ensure an Annual Smoke Alarm Compliance Service, Inspection & Test is conducted. This legally required compliance test MUST include;

    •  Correct placement, location & number of smoke alarms
    • All smoke alarms are not past expiry date (10 years from date of manufacture)
    • Alarms tested annually
    • Alarms have a decibel reading greater than 85
    • New batteries installed every 12 months & with change of tenancy
    • A Compliance Certificate/Report is issued annually

    Blind Safety Compliance

    Landlords throughout Australia have a duty of care to their tenants. One of these duties is to ensure that the residence is free from harm. There are mandatory safety requirements for window coverings.

    Window coverings such as curtains, shades and blinds with cords and chains can cause injury and death to young children and babies if they become wrapped around their necks. Strangulation can occur when cords are too long or end in a loop:

    Competition And Consumer (corded Internal Window Coverings) Safety Standard 2014.

    A corded internal window covering must be installed in such a way that a loose cord cannot form a loop 220 mm or longer, at less than 1,600 mm above floor level.

    No part of a cord guide may be installed lower than 1,600 mm above floor level unless the cord guide will remain firmly attached to a wall or other structure specified in the installation instructions when subjected to a tension force of 70 N applied in any direction for 10 seconds; and the cord is sufficiently secured or tensioned to prevent the formation of a loop 220 mm or longer. A cleat used to secure a cord must be installed at least 1,600 mm above floor level.

    Safety Switches

    In Victoria it is mandatory for all rental properties to have Safety Switches installed and NSW should follow suit. In some states & Territories it is mandatory to have them installed prior to selling or leasing a property.

    Electrical Safety

    The rental provider must ensure an electrical safety check of all electrical installations, appliances and fittings provided by a rental provider in the rented premises is conducted every 2 years by a licensed or registered electrician and must provide the renter with the date of the most recent safety check, in writing, on request of the renter.

    Gas Safety

    The rental provider must ensure that a gas safety check of all gas installations and fittings in the rented premises is conducted every 2 years by a licensed or registered gasfitter and must provide the renter with the date of the most recent safety check, in writing, on request of the renter.

    Frequently Asked Questions

    Victorian Legislation FAQs

    How does the annual pricing structure work?
    The services that need to be carried out in accordance with Victorian legislation requires a licensed plumber and a licensed electrician to attend the properties once in the first year then again in the second year the safety technician will need to re-attend. Organising three different trades to attend over two years equates to a cost of $750 - $770.00. We have just broken this cost down over a 12-month period to help the cash flow of the landlords.
    Why are the new Victorian gas and electrical checks expensive?
    These compliance checks are as cost effective for a homeowner as we can possibly make them. Because these safety checks require a licensed plumber that is also a registered as a type A gasfitter, and a licensed electrician to attend the property, the price is structured around having these licensed trades. The safety compliance checks take approximately a little over one hour to complete and come with a detailed report and photographic evidence. The extent of these checks, and the fact they are required every 2 years, with a compliance check for smoke alarms, blinds, safety switch checks and the air con filter cleaning means we also need a technician to attend every year, requires us to pass on an annual fixed fee. We will also attend the property at no extra cost for emergencies or beeping smoke alarms throughout the 12-month period.

    As a landlord, there is no way around these cost as under the new Victorian legislation these compliance checks and reports need to take place. We recommend that yup do your due diligence and find a compliance company that will pass on the most cost-effective program but is also delivering a superior service and comprehensive report, not just a certificate. For peace of mind, having theses gas and electrical checks in the hands of a professional is a much safer, not only in the short term but also the long term for your tenants and your property.

    Will I receive a discount if I have multiple properties?
    BCMC Safety Solutions is already the most cost-effective compliance company in Victoria and NSW. We are already passing discounts onto the real estate agencies. BCMC Safety Solutions work exclusively with agencies, as a landlord if you are self-managing the property and require our service, you will need use a real estate agency. We strongly believe the best option for you is to have your investment property managed by a professional real estate agency. And therefore, the discount is already added in the price when you organise the compliance through the real estate agencies.
    What happens if I self-manage my property?
    If you are self-managing the property, you can still organise the gas and electrical safety compliance checks with another compliance company as BCMC safety Solutions only work exclusively with real estate agencies and we do this because we strongly believe from personal experience that having a qualified and professional agent managing your investment is just as important as the compliance itself. There are plenty of other compliance companies that may be able to assist you with this.
    Do you cover the whole of Victoria?

    We cover most of Victoria and are working quickly toward offering our service throughout the whole state. If you would like to check if we cover your suburb, please email one of our friendly team at

    How long do I have to organise the gas and electrical safety checks in Victoria?
    The new regulations came into effect in March 2021. As a landlord of a rental property, you will have two years to organise the gas and electrical safety checks to be completed, however if a tenant moves in or out of the property within that two-year period or a new lease signing. You must have all the compliance checks completed, with a report that records the plumbers and electricians license numbers. These reports must be signed off by authorised trades specific to the safety checks. So, to recap – You will have two years to complete the gas and electrical safety checks at the rental property unless there is a new tenancy, or lese signing. At this time, the full compliance checks must be completed when the new tenant moves in.
    What does the electrician do when he completes the electrical safety check?
    The electrician will check and test all the landlord supplied electrical appliances according to the Residential Tenancy Regulations 2021. An example of a landlord supplied electrical appliance is an oven or an electric cooktop. He will perform an earth loop and polarity test of all the accessible power points and light switches in the property and replace any faulty or damaged power points or light switches. He will do a thorough switchboard inspection to ensure that all RCD’s (safety switches) are installed correctly and are operational. He will replace any existing faulty or damaged RCD’s. He will essentially conduct a comprehensive safety check on the condition of all landlord supplied appliances, power points, light switches to make sure there is nothing that will cause a safety hazard for the occupants of the property. He will manually trip all RCD’s to make sure they are all working correctly. Once he has completed these checks, he will enter all the data into a comprehensive report, which makes up part of the compliance report.
    What does the plumber do when he completes the gas safety check?
    The plumber will perform a negative pressure test, he will check the gas isolation valves and any LPG cylinders plus associated components to make sure they are not leaking. He will check all landlord supplies gas appliances. An example of a landlord supplied gas appliance is a gas cooktop or a gas heater. He will also conduct a gas combustion spillage test to identify if CO (carbon monoxide) is present in the property. He will record all this data into a report, which makes up part of the compliance reports.
    What other safety checks do BCMC Safety Solutions do as part of the compliance checks?
    BCMC Safety Solutions will check all smoke alarms in the report are working and in date. They will replace faulty or expired alarms and add any additional smoke alarms if needed. We will test the sound of the alarms to make sure they are at the correct decibel. We will replace the smoke alarm batteries every time we check the alarms. We will carry put any emergency beeping alarm checks at no extra charge. We will inspect al widow coverings and install blind clips or cleats on all windows that have corded window coverings where the cords are looped and hanging below 1.4 metres. Any excess or non-compliant cords are removed or secured. We also clean any air conditioning filters thoroughly removing any dust or build-up of grime n the in-take filters on split systems and ducted systems.
    What is a CO test?

    A CO test effectively measures the oxygen in the air for Carbon Monoxide.

    Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless, and tasteless gas produced by burning gasoline, charcoal, wood, propane, and other fuels. Present in gas heaters and used in an improperly ventilated area or enclosed space carbon monoxide can accumulate to a dangerous level and will build up in a person’s bloodstream, which can lead to serious injury and death.

    Our gas safety checks record the levels of carbon monoxide present in a home. 

    Reading Effects
    9ppm Minimal. This is the maximum allowable concentration for 8 hours. (EPA AND ASHRAE)
    35ppm Maximum for continuous exposure for 1 hour (EPA and ASHRAE)
    50ppm Maximum for 8 hours
    100ppm Trips installed CO detectors. UL2034 specifies a maximum exposure of 100 minutes.
    200ppm Within 2 to 3 hours: slight headache, tiredness, dizziness, nausea. UL2034 specifies a maximum exposure of 35 minutes.
    400ppm Within 1 – 2 hours: frontal lobe headaches. Within 3 hours: life threatening. UL2034 specifies a maximum exposure time of 15 minutes.
    800ppm In 45 minutes: dizziness, nausea and convulsions leading to death within 1 – 2 hours.
    1600ppm Within 1 hour: death
    6400ppm Within 15 minutes: death
    12800ppm Within 3 minutes: death
    What is the difference between a safety switch and a circuit breaker?
    A circuit breaker, also referred to as a fuse protects wiring and electrical systems in a property. A safety switch protects people from electrical accidents. A safety switch monitors the flow of electricity through a circuit breaker and detects any unnatural currents which may occur and result in an electric shock. A safety switch will instantly be activated if they detect any imbalance in the live and neutral currents and will switch off the power within .03 seconds. A circuit breaker will protect the electrical circuits in the home and cut the power when it detects a high current fault, short circuit, or a power overload when too many appliances are plugged into a single power point.